Saturday, October 29, 2011

CRAZY QUILTS.


My mind is blown here. I've never even thought of the option of painting or otherwise marking on quilt squares. For me, it seems like your own included doodles would be so much more meaningful than the quilt by itself.


Did anyone else notice that dog? This is so cute! I've never even attempted quilting, just because I hate patterns and repetition. I think I would really like to do something like this, though. 


 Detail:



:)


Mrs. Stamper got me into crazy quilting. 
I pulled this off wikipedia because I didn't understand what specifications a quilt needed to have to be considered crazy:
Regular patchwork combines the pieces of fabric into a predetermined and regular design, but crazy patchwork uses irregular pieces of fabric on a foundation fabric or paper. This may create haphazard-looking and asymmetrical designs, or the designer may use some control in placement.
Patches can be hand appliquéd onto a base fabric. This method gives the most variety as every patch is unique. There are also block patterns designed for crazy quilt that can be sewn by machine.
Sometimes part of a crazy quilt is haphazard while other parts are placed in a planned pattern. A common example of this the placement of patches is a fan pattern.
The patches and seams are then usually heavily embellished.

Because crazy quilts lack batting as well, this can be considered a two dimensional project in my portfolio.
It seems like you can have a lot of freedom in the process of making one, and there isn't really a specific right or wrong way to do it. I think this would be a fantastic project to work on over the course of this nine weeks, in addition to other smaller projects.

2 comments: